What You Need To Know When It Comes To Gas Fireplaces

It’s about this time of year when you really notice how well the heating in your home is working for you. Even if your gas appliance has served you well in the past, you might want to upgrade or replace an old unit to make sure your family is as snug as you want to be. Keeping an eye on safety is important. An engineer will be able to check this over for you and let you know if it’s time for you to get a gas fireplace for your place. 

There’s a lot you might not realise about gas fireplaces. They are one of the most popular forms of heating these days. Contemporary designs are stylish and ambient enough to enhance any home sweet home. The convenience and cleanliness are practically unbeatable. And they can form a wonderful new hub for your family life. But let’s look at some of the common issues.

Check the individual small print on the gas fireplace you’re considering because different models have different ratings and features. Some of them are built to be beautiful but not so efficient. On the other hand, if you choose one for your small room that pumps out far too much heat, you'll soon regret it. Do the calculations and the choice is simple.

The heat produced from gas fireplaces is really powerful, so it’s important to have a safety screen. Fortunately, the modern ones come with screens as standard. But if you’re persevering with an older design, it might be something you need to invest in. 

When you go to wipe the glass front of the fire with a damp cloth, which is a good idea to do regularly, make sure it has cooled down first or you might end up cracking the surface.

And even though you don’t get sparks coming out of a gas fireplace, don't forget the danger from heat is still something to bear in mind. The intense heat can ignite any flammable materials nearby, so be really careful what you allow next to the fire. And don’t drape anything over the front, even at Christmas!

Do you have a carbon monoxide monitor in your home? It’s an important safety precaution with any fireplace because CO is poisonous and hard to detect when there’s a leak. Even though gas fireplaces are very safe, they do let off an amount of carbon monoxide as a matter of course. But a monitor will let you know if ever there’s a problem.

If you’re having building work done on the house, perhaps creating dust and other pollutants in the air, or storing flammable decorating products in the vicinity, it’s a good idea not to light the gas fire during that time, just to be on the safe side.

And of course, a regular service with a registered professional gas engineer means you’ll have your fireplace working at tip top efficiency when you need it the most, as well as having the year-round peace of mind that safety is optimum.

Back to news