How do I choose the right fireplace?
A new fireplace has the power to completely transform the look and feel of a room and provide a real focal point for many years to come. With so many styles, designs and materials it can be a little overwhelming choosing the right one for your room. The choice of fireplace may also vary depending on the type of gas fire, electric fire or stove selected as some materials and finishes are not designed to work with high temperature fires.
Generally speaking a fireplace is constructed from a surround, backpanel and hearth. To help you find the perfect fireplace we've answered the most popular questions below to get you started.
- Make sure the fireplace fits your chimney breast or wall? To make sure that the fireplace surround or fireplace suite is suitable for your chimney breast or wall please check the product specification table. The specification table is specific to each product.
- What types of materials are the fireplace suites and fireplace surround available in? At Superior Fires we sell natural stone (Agean limestone, Carrara marble, granite), wooden (painted white, oak veneer, walnut veneer, pine) and micro marble fireplaces. Please note that the micro marble fireplace suites are not suitable for our Grosvenor high efficiency range and our Westbury flueless range of gas fires.
- What types of materials are the backpanel and hearths available in? The backpanel and hearths are available in polished black granite, honed black granite, slate honed, Agean Limestone and is available in a number of different sizes. The hearths are boxed and lipped design and are 50mm height.
- Does the backpanel have an opening? The polished black granite, honed black granite and slate honed backpanels all have a standard opening size of width 420mm x height 570mm and have a depth/thickness of 20mm. You can also specify an Agean limestone backpanel which is available as a 3 piece set and has depth/thickness of 20mm.
- Do the fireplace surround come with a backpanel and hearth? All of our fireplace suites include a fireplace surround, backpanel and hearth. The wooden, agean limestone and Carrara marble fireplace suites come with a polished black granite backpanel and hearth. The cast stone, Portuguese limestone and micro marble suites all come with matching backpanel and hearths.
- Do the fireplaces suite and fireplace surrounds require assembly? All of our natural stone (limestone, Carrara marble, granite), wooden (painted white, oak veneer, walnut veneer, pine) fireplace surrounds and our micro marble suites will require assembly.
- My hearth is an odd size and I don't want to replace the carpet. What are my options? We offer bespoke made to measure boxed and lipped hearths which are available in polished black granite, honed black granite, slate honed, perla micro marble, Agean limestone and Portuguese limestone. All you need to if call us on 01202 588 632 and provide us with the dimensions of the hearth you require and we will be able provide you with a quote for the hearth.
- What is a boxed and lipped hearth? A boxed and lipped hearth is a hearth (boxed shaped) which has 1/2" over hang on the sides and the front of the hearth to create the lipped edge on the hearth.
- What is surround rebate? A rebate is the difference between the outside and inside leg return on a fireplace surround. To work out your fireplace rebate simply subtract the inside leg return from the outside leg return.
- Who will install my fireplace? At Superior Fires we offer a Home Survey and installation service to ensure you get the right fireplace installed at a competitive price without the hassle of doing it yourself.
- Delivery? Our fireplace surrounds, fireplace suites, backpanel and hearths will be delivered on a pallet and will take up to 14 working days to be deliver. This includes standard and bespoke made to measure hearths.
Hopefully these main considerations will help you to choose the right fireplace and you'll have a beautiful warm focal point in your room. Browse our wide selection of Agean limestone, Portuguese limestone, Carrara marble, cast stone and wooden fireplaces with either black granite, slate or Agean limestone backpanel and hearth and find exactly what you're looking for.
Need more advice or a Home Survey?
For more great tips online, please see our Product Help & Information guide within the Help & Advice section.
If you're still not sure where to start and could do with a helping hand, get in touch. Customers come to us for our wide choice, great prices and unbeatable product knowledge. If there's something we can help you with or you've got any technical questions, contact our friendly sales team on 01202 588 632 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. And, don't forget we offer a nationwide Home Survey & Installation service whereby we can send out a Gas Safe Registered engineer to help make sure you get exactly the right fire for you and know exactly what the costs are before you decide to proceed.